Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Design of Everday Things (pt. 1)

So I just read a book (over the course of 5 days since I joined the class late and only started on Friday since I had to go buy the book and the bookstores were closed Thursday when I found out about the assignment) called The Design of Everyday Things by Don Norman. While it is slightly outdated (written in the late 80s), there were many points that I agreed with which also made me wonder why CAN'T things be like he said? He gives examples of poor design, explains why they are poor design, and sometimes proposes better plans. For example, every stove I've ever seen is what I call "four corners", and EVERY time, I have to look at it before turning on a burner. Meanwhile, they COULD be lined up in a row with their buttons in the same order, and it would be perfect. Why not?!

Another example was the buttons in a car. My driver's side control has all SORTS of buttons. There is a trigger for moving the seat forward and back, the back rest forward and back, the seat up and down, to tilt the seat forward, etc. I can NEVER remember what button does what and always have to test them as I go to see. However, Norman proposed a design where the button looks like the seat and the way you push it is the way the seat moves, leans, tilts, etc. I always just dealt with such things because I figured there was nothing better (since designers would have made them if something DID exist), but now I'm almost not happy with what I have.

Another thing it did was to make me feel better about mistakes I make and gave me the right words to tell people when THEY make mistakes. At work (doing IT for the athletic department), I see people get discouraged and frustrated when they make a mistake. I've tried to tell them that it happens to everyone, but it's hard to get that point across. Now I can tell them flaws in the design which lead to such mistakes and hopefully they will feel better. The book is very good, quick and easy reading (I guess it isn't TOO quick because I spent quite a bit of time to get it read on time), and fun to read.

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing with all the technology out there, that someone can't come up with a better stove design. The book was published in the 80's and they are still the same.

    After reading this book, I can't look at doors the same way I used to anymore. Now I analyze their design. It was still a good book though.

    ReplyDelete