Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Media Equation

I read the book, and it was very interesting. For the most part, they took everyday actions and emotions of people how they react to other people. Then they took these and found out if humans treated media (mainly computers) the same way. For the most part, they did. It was very interesting because I think I knew this, but never really considered testing it.

The book was easy to read and made perfect sense. When I thought about what the book was saying, I found that I was the same way as the people in the tests. I would curse the computer and not the programmer. When I read a book recently, Wilt, 1962, there was criticism on the front cover from H.G. "Buzz" Bissinger, the author of Friday Night Lights. It wasn't from someone who knows nothing about sports, it was from an author who supposedly knows a lot about sports. The tests were good, but sometimes I wondered about the sample size and if the tests were really good. But for the most part, they were, and things like gender wouldn't matter.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Pete! Its amazing how far some things have come in just 13 years. I know it might seem long by itself, but in relative to the history of mankind itself, thats a pretty short amount of time. Anyways, nice entry, glad to see you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did think some of the tests were a little odd myself. A lot of the stuff they stated seemed like common knowledge to me, they were just proving it. Some stuff shocked me too, like the specialized TVs. It was a good book overall, but a bit repetitive.

    ReplyDelete